Online Casinos Canada
Thanks to the rise of internet gambling, casino gaming is bigger than ever in Canada. Gone are the days of having a limited selection to choose from. In fact, these days the opposite is true; online casino gaming fans have too much choice! Thankfully, sites like SuperLenny take the effort out of the decision-making process and allow you to compare all the options out there in an instant.
Best Online Casinos for Canadian Players 2020
Is Online Gambling Legal in Canada?
The laws in Canada around gambling, let alone online gambling are somewhat complex. As it stands gambling online in Canada is a grey area, which does not mean it is not illegal for Canadians to gamble online.
Each province in Canada has the power and authority to govern this area, so here are their guidelines:
- Alberta: The legal gambling age is 18. Casino gambling is legal, as is online gambling, which includes VLTs. Additionally, sports betting, lottery, and charitable gambling are also legal.
- British Columbia: The legal gambling age is 19. Gambling in physical casinos is legal, as well as provincial online casinos. Sports betting is authorized at licensed locations.
- Manitoba: The legal gambling age is 18, and you can gamble in physical casinos run by the province, as well as online through a provincial online gambling website. There are no restrictions on overseas operators. Sports betting, VLTs, and lotteries are also regulated.
- New Brunswick: The legal gambling age is 19, and once of age, you can gamble in the province’s sole physical casino, or online as provided by overseas operators. VLTs, sportsbook betting, and lotteries are legal.
- Newfoundland and Labrador: The legal gambling age is 19 and consists mainly of VLTs, sportsbooks betting, and lotteries. Online gambling legal through overseas operators.
- Nova Scotia: The legal gambling age is 19. There are two physical casinos in the province, and overseas online gambling is legal.
- Ontario: The legal gambling age is 19, and there are over 25 physical casinos in the province. Sports betting is legal through licensed operators.
- Prince Edward Island: The legal gambling age is 19 in physical and online casinos. Sports betting is run at a provincial level.
- Quebec: The legal gambling age is 18 in any of the numerous land-based casinos. Overseas gambling is possible once of age, as well as sports betting through the provincial operator.
- Saskatchewan: The legal gambling age is 19 in any of the 8 physical casinos. Online gaming is legal through overseas operators. Sports betting is also legal at a provincial level.
What Makes a Good Online Casino for Canadian Players?
✅ Accept CAD: The Canadian dollar is the official currency of Canada, therefore online casinos that accept Canadian players, should also support payments in CA$
✅ Customer support: When something goes wrong, players need to be able to rely on customer support to give you useful and efficient support. This also covers communication methods like live chat being available in Canadian time zones.
✅ Casino Bonuses: With the market more crowded than ever, online casinos offer sizeable welcome bonuses for Canadian players to attract individuals to their platform. Take advantage of these and put yourself in an excellent position to earn some cash! These should also be available in CA$
✅ Game selection: With so many possible casino game types on offer, why limit yourself? If you want to get the best bang for your buck, choose an online casino with a wide variety of game types.
✅ Fully licensed and regulated: It’s important to know that whoever you decide to game with, your funds and account information will be safely looked after.
Live Dealer Casinos
In contrast to the traditional online casino games, which simply recreate classic casino table games in a video game format, live dealer casinos recreate the entire experience of playing in a casino. From the card table to the dealers themselves, everything is perfectly recreated and streamed live, direct to your device of choice.
It is important for players to note that live casino games are only available to play for real money
Live dealer casino games vs standard casino games
|Live Dealer Games||Table Games|
|👍 Exclusive bonuses||👍 Free plays|
|👍 More social||👍 More games|
|❌ Limited games||❌ Less social|
|❌ Real money only||❌ Less entertainment|
Lenny's last word on top UK online casinos
How to Sign up at an Online Casino in Canada?
To get started, all you have to do is navigate to the homepage of your chosen online casino and create an account. Once this is all set up, you will then generally have to provide some documents to verify your identity. The steps players in Canada will need to take include:
✔️ Create an account with your chosen provider.
✔️ Verify your identity.
✔️ Deposit funds to your casino account.
✔️ Start playing
How Online Casino Banking works
Casino banking refers to the various casino payment methods you can use to fund your online casino account. Withdrawals and deposits can be made using a variety of methods, including conventional online banking methods as well as electronic payment services like iDebit, interac or ecoPayz.
How to Make a Deposit at a Canadian Casino
- Choose an online casino, making sure they are fully licensed and regulated.
- Create an account and follow any necessary identity verification processes.
- Choose a method to fund your account—for example, bank transfer, iDebit, or using an e-payment service.
- Choose an amount and send it to your online casino account.
- Wait for the deposit to come through—this will usually take 2-3 days.
- Start gaming!
Who makes sure online casinos for Canadian players are licensed?
When it comes to online casinos established within Canada, they will be licensed at a provincial level. This means that it is the individual province’s job to ensure that the online casino in question is adequately licensed. Here is some information about the main players involved in licensing and regulation casinos in Canada.
Ontario Lottery & Gaming (OLG) – “OLG is the Ontario government agency that conducts and manages gaming facilities, the sale of province-wide lottery games, PlayOLG internet gaming, bingo and other electronic gaming products at Charitable Gaming Centres. We are also helping to build the foundation for a more sustainable horse racing industry in Ontario.” – https://about.olg.ca/
Kahnawake Gaming Commission – Based on an Indian reservation of Kahnawake, Kahnawake Gaming Commission provides licenses to online casino sites, poker sites, and sports betting sites
In the case of international online casinos, Canadian provincial bodies have no say in how they are regulated. However, foreign casinos will generally be regulated by a licensing authority outside of Canada.
Which are the most popular online casinos in Canada?
According to SuperLenny’s research across multiple platforms and our Canadian players, the most popular online casinos for Canadians are
History of Gambling in Canada
Although gambling is now a well-established part of the Canadian economy, this was not always the case. Over time, however, the ability to put in place laws regulating and licensing, not only physical but online casinos, was established by the provinces. As such, from about 1970 onwards, with 1985 proving to be a pivotal year, the territories and provinces were given the power to oversee slots, charitable gaming, lotteries, and other types of gambling. As part of this, several First Nations tribes were given the right to establish and run some casinos on their territories—much like in the United States.
Famous Canadian Gamblers
Michael McDonald: As one of the few players to bank a career total of over $10 million, McDonald is one of the most prolific card players in the country. Born in 1990, McDonald made a name for himself playing online, and has since gone on to win tournaments all over the world.
Jaime Staples: Born in 1991, Staples is one of the new breeds of players rising up through the ranks. Since going pro, Staples has banked close to a million dollars in total prize money. Although still in the early days into his career, Staples is proving to be one of the most promising poker players around.
Guy Laliberté: Although initially earning his fortune through his work founding the famous Cirque du Soleil in 1984, Guy is now better known as one of the best poker players around. After winning many prominent tournaments—famously winning $696,222 at the Bellagio in Las Vegas in 2007—he is known to donate a substantial portion of his earnings to charity.
Evelyn Ng: Born in Toronto in 1975, Evelyn Ng is a well-established poker player in both the online and live poker scene. Although not winning the biggest pots we have ever seen, she earned her best placing in the WSOP Main Event in 2008—finishing 238th out of 6,844 players.
Daniel Negreanu: Having won 6 WSOP bracelets, 2 WPT wins, and the prestigious Card Player Magazine player of the year award in 2004, Negreanu is one of the most prominent Canadian poker players around. He has reportedly earned a career total of over $32 million, which also establishes him as one of the wealthiest poker players ever.
What Are the Most Popular Casino Games in Canada?
Although when we think of the most popular casino games around, we tend to believe that blackjack and poker dominate, this is not necessarily the reality in Canada. Although card games are increasingly popular, particularly online poker, slot machines tend to see the most games played out of all casino games.
Biggest Casinos in Canada
1) Casino Niagara:
Address: 5705 Falls Ave. Niagara Falls, ON L2E 6T3 Canada
Contact details: +1 (888) 325-5788
Services: Huge range of slots & table games, members’ benefits
2) Hard Rock Casino Vancouver:
Address: 2080 United Blvd, Coquitlam, BC
Contact details: +1-604-523-6888
Services: Stay & play, special events
3) Caesars Windsor Hotel and Casino:
Address: 377 Riverside Dr E, Windsor, ON
Contact details: +1 (800) 991-7777
Services: Stay & play, sports betting
4) Casino de Montreal:
Address: 1 Ave. du Casino, Montréal, QC
Contact details: +1-514 392-2746
Services: Huge range of slots and table games
5) River Cree Resort and Casino:
Address: 300 East Lapotac Blvd Box 179, Enoch, Alberta
Contact details: +1-844-425-2733
Services: Stay & play, dining, members’ benefits
6) River Rock Casino Resort:
Address: 8811 River Road, Richmond, BC
Contact details: +1-(707) 857-2777
Services: stay & play, special events, sports betting
7) Casino Rama Resort:
Address: 5899, Rama Rd, Orillia, ON
Contact details: +1-705-329-3325
Services: Stay & Play, members’ benefits, special events
8) Elements Casino Brantford:
Address: 40 Icomm Drive, Brantford, ON
Contact details: +1 604 576 9141
Services: Horse racing, members’ benefits, special events
9) Niagara Fallsview Casino Resort:
Address: 6380 Fallsview Blvd, Niagara Falls, ON
Contact details: +1 (888) 325-5788
Services: Stay & play, slots & table games, members’ benefits
10) St. Eugene Golf Resort (Casino of the Rockies):
Address: 7777 Mission Road, Cranbrook, BC
Contact details: +1 (250) 417-2772
Services: Casino, Golf, Off-track betting, stay & play
Popular Questions about online casinos
⭐Is it legal to play at online casinos in Canada?
It is entirely legal to play at online casinos in Canada. While there may be some restrictions to online casinos run by the provinces, as long as you are over 18 years of age, you won’t be restricted from accessing or playing at online casinos established overseas.
⭐ How to stay safe at an online casino
- Ensure you only play on fully licensed and regulated online casinos.
- Choose a strong password for your casino account, and never reveal it to others.
- Only play with funds you can afford to lose.
- Keep track of how much time you spend playing them.
- Take regular breaks and time away from the table.
⭐ How long after a deposit can I start playing?
If your account is verified, all you have to do is wait until your deposit hits your account. Once it does, you can get playing straight away.
⭐ Do I have to play for real money?
Unless otherwise stated, you will generally play with real money in online casinos. There may, however, be some demo accounts you can use to try out the website before committing to the platform.
⭐ Will my online casino winnings be taxed in Canada?
Although it might vary from province to province, you won’t generally have to pay any tax on online casino winnings in Canada. If you earn interest on those winnings or they get used for other investments, you will have to pay tax on that income.
⭐ Land casinos vs online casinos in Canada
The most obvious difference relates to the opening hours. Generally speaking, land-based casinos will have to respect local licensing hours and may shut for certain periods of the day. This is not the case with online casinos which are open 24 hours a day. Another significant difference relates to the variety of games they offer, with online casinos tending to have a much better selection.
|Pros of land based casinos||Cons for land based casinos|
|More Social||Dress Code|
|No sign-up||Less casino bonuses|
|Free drinks or food offers||Bigger house edge|
|More atmosphere||Less choice of games|
📞 Canadian Helplines & Services for Problem Gambling
Responsible gambling Canada is charged with making casino goers and online gambling fans aware of the risks of gambling. They also provide tips and information about how to gamble safely and responsibly.
- Canada Safety Council – phone: 613-739-1535
- Canadian Centre for Addictions – phone: +1 855-253-0283
- Responsible Gambling Council – phone: +1 (416) 499-9800