Basketball Betting Guide
Basketball is a global sport thanks to the NBA and it is followed very closely in Canada and the US. The Toronto Raptors have placed Canada firmly on the map and their success has led to the sport’s surge in popularity. In this guide, we will examine how to bet on basketball online in Canada and also highlight key strategies to improve your success rate when placing wagers.
Top NBA Betting Sites 2021
100% match deposit bonus of up to C$50
+ 25 Free Spins
- Great mobile app
- Live Casino
- 24/7 support
Up to $1000 Bonus
+ 1000 LV Spins
- Live Casino
- live sports
Up to C$150
+25 Free Spins
- Many promo campaigns
- Live Casino
- 24/7 support
🐼Up to C$1,000🐼
+ 10 Free Spins
- Live Casino
- Generous welcome bonus
- Unique loyalty program
- 1 of the world's top sportsbooks
100% up to $125 sports bonus
- 24/7 support
- Low wager
- Easy registration
100% up to C$500
- Bonus for Canadian players
- Wide range of betting options
- 24/7 support
If you fancy your chances betting on NBA then you’ve come to the right place. SuperLenny has been following basketball since Michael Jordan was still wearing Chuck Taylors.
Here you will find our detailed basketball betting guide tailored for Canadian bettors
Included on this page :
✔️ Best NBA Betting Sites
✔️ Winning Strategies
✔️ FAQs about betting on basketball
How does SuperLenny choose the best basketball betting sites for Canadians?
Canada is awash with sports betting sites and several factors determine which sites SuperLenny recommends bettors to use:
- Bet types. How many different kinds of bets can bettors place on any game? Some may offer an accumulator option whereas others may be more straight-up, such as match winner.
- Quality of markets. Is there a wide range to suit all bettors, and is there an in-play betting option so that bettors can keep on top of the live action?
- Bonuses. Can new players benefit from the bonuses on offer, and is there a good loyalty and rewards programme in place?
- Customer service. Bettors will want reliable customer service so that they can speak to someone if they encounter any problems on the site they have chosen to use.
- Payments. Bettors will want a site that can handle many different payment options and one that can process deposits and withdrawals quickly.
How to bet on basketball online in Canada
Players should do research and find out which sites offer the best odds for basketball betting. Experienced bettors may choose more complicated methods, which will be discussed later on.
However, there are a plethora of bookmakers, including Bodog, which has a wide range of in-play and pre-match markets that you can check out.
Betting on basketball takes on many different formats and can range from simple straight bets to more long-term bets, such as who will win the NBA Finals.
Where can you bet on basketball online in Canada?
It is best to stick to reputable sites for betting on basketball. Fortunately for Canadians, there is a good selection from which to choose. These include bet365 and 888sport, where there are a plethora of markets available for in-game as well as ante-post betting.
Different types of bets in basketball
With basketball being such a high-scoring game, there are so many intriguing betting elements and types:
- Straight bet. This is the simplest wager that can be placed and relies on predicting the outcome of a game. For example, if you bet on the Raptors to beat the Los Angeles Lakers, then you would take home your winnings.
- Accumulators. This type of bet is based on putting together a combination of several outcomes into one wager. For example, you could bet on seven different teams to win that were playing on the same day and they would all need to come through for you to win.
- In-play betting. This refers to betting taking place while an event has already started. Odds are reflected in real time and adjust depending on what is happening in the game.
- Over/under. This relates to the total number of points scored by both teams combined in a match. For example, if you bet on over 120 and there are over 121 points in the game, then your bet wins.
- Points spread. Common in NBA betting, the bookmakers will set a spread and the favoured team must win by more than the spread.
- Prop bets. With this type of betting, you can bet on an event that’s outside of the outcome of the game. This could be on the winning margin or predicting which will be the highest-scoring quarter.
- Futures bets. This is more of an ante-post betting type, as you can predict, for example, who will win the NBA Championship, and requires taking more of a long-term approach.
Find out more about wagering requirements in our dedicated guide!
What basketball competitions can I bet on in Canada?
While many Canadians will have a favourite NBA team they support, there is a whole host of events on which they can bet. Aside from the NBA, there is also the NBL Canada (National Basketball League of Canada) as well as tournaments such as the Olympics and the FIBA Basketball World Cup.
Can I bet on basketball live?
Yes, there is no shortage of live in-play options when it comes to betting on basketball. Most bookmakers will have a comprehensive selection of live markets, which will show odds shorten and drift in real-time as well as breaking down all the key stats from each quarter of a game.
How popular is basketball in Canada?
Basketball has surged in popularity in recent years. The success of the Raptors, as previously mentioned, has placed Canada on the map and has sparked significant interest in the game. Canadians are very knowledgeable about the NBA and with the talent on show each week. This includes LeBron James and Steph Curry, they are usually treated to a masterclass.
The college basketball scene is growing and many keep an eye on this to see who gets snapped up and moves to the NBA.
The popularity of Basketball betting
Canadians are huge fans of sports from our own winter sports to international sports like soccer. So it’s no surprise that Canadians are betting on basketball as well as other sports like lacrosse, curling, ice hockey, golf, and more. In recent years there has been a surge in Canadians looking to bet on sports online, and this is for a number of reasons:
- Increased availability
- Improved experience
- Faster transaction times
How to sign up to a basketball betting site
Signing up to a basketball betting site is straightforward and can be achieved by following these steps:
- Log in and set up an account. Here, you will need to verify yourself before loading your game balance with funds.
- Afterwards, you will be able to use the navigation tool to find markets available for basketball.
- Here, you will be able to see the odds offered.
- You will then be able to enter a stake amount and confirm your selection on your betting slip.
Make a deposit to start betting on basketball at sports betting sites
Depositing funds into your basketball account can take a matter of minutes. There is a multitude of different banking options, which includes traditional payment processors such as Visa and Mastercard as well as e-wallets such as Skrill and Neteller.
Always be sure to check which payment methods are accepted before signing up to a sports betting site.
Can I get a welcome bonus when I sign up at a basketball betting site?
Online sportsbooks are always competing for your attention. Canadians have access to some of the best bonuses in the world.
Among them are the welcome bonus packages, which sometimes can be capped. For example, a bookmaker may offer a 50% welcome bonus, but the limit for free bets is set at C$200.
Top 5 winning strategies for betting on basketball in Canada
If you want to master basketball betting and win on a more consistent basis, then you should adhere to the following tips.
- Firstly, check out a team’s schedule. Fatigue more often than not can affect their performance. Teams play a lot of games, and if they are crisscrossing the country, then they may not be at their peak level.
- Secondly, be wary that the home court doesn’t always necessitate a big advantage. Some teams perform better on the road. If one team has suffered a blowout on their travels, then you can be sure that they will come back stronger if they are on their travels as they will have a point to prove.
- Thirdly, always analyse a team’s form. If they have suffered a few reverses on the trot, then they are unlikely to curry favour with the bookmakers and will have longer odds.
- Fourthly, examine a team’s style of play. Have they got players who are good in and around the paint or can drop three-pointers? If so, then they could excel in some quarters when their opponents tire at certain stages.
Also, keep an eye out on the odds. Certain lines may drift or shorten with some bookmakers. There will be stats before games, which will be able to help out but don’t follow what the public are saying. Don’t just bet because the line has moved. Find out why this is the case.
Popular questions about betting on basketball in Canada
Is betting on NBA legal in Canada?
Yes, you can legally bet on the NBA in Canada. Sports betting has been legal in Canada since 1970 and there are no laws prohibiting the use of offshore online sportsbooks.
What is an NBA moneyline?
One of the more popular betting types for Canadian bettors, the moneyline is an American term. You simply put a bet on which team will win the game. However, it isn’t always the most profitable type of bet.
Are free bets offered for basketball games?
Yes, they are. You should make use of all the free promotions that come your way so that you can boost your betting bankroll.
Can I use Canadian dollars to bet on basketball?
Many NBA games take place outside Canada, meaning you may find that a site you’re using might not accept Canadian dollars. Always check before you register with an online sportsbook.
Is betting on basketball online legal in Canada?
Yes, as long as you are over the age of 19, you can bet on basketball in Canada.
What are the top basketball betting sites in Canada?
SuperLenny only recommends the best NBA betting sites who offer great odds & bonuses for Canadian bettors. Please check out our list of betting sites to find the right one for you.