Soccer is one of the most popular sports worldwide. Thanks to MLS and the success of teams such as Toronto FC and the Montreal Impact, Canada has enjoyed increasing exposure to the beautiful game over the years. Indeed, soccer has provided a great gateway for bettors to get involved. In this detailed guide, we will provide an overview of the many ways that you can bet on soccer and also answer some of the frequently asked questions that tend to pop up.
Top Soccer Betting Sites 2020
100% match deposit bonus of up to C$50
+ 25 Free Spins
- Great mobile app
- Live Casino
- 24/7 support
Up to $1000 Bonus
+ 1000 LV Spins
- Live Casino
- live sports
Up to C$150
+25 Free Spins
- Many promo campaigns
- Live Casino
- 24/7 support
🐼Up to C$1,000🐼
+ 10 Free Spins
- Live Casino
- Generous welcome bonus
- Unique loyalty program
- 1 of the world's top sportsbooks
100% up to C$1500
- Player's Choice
- sports betting
- Live Casino
- Live Bets
100% up to $125 sports bonus
- 24/7 support
- Low wager
- Easy registration
100% up to C$100
- live streaming
- Fastest payout platform
100% up to C$500
- Bonus for Canadian players
- Wide range of betting options
- 24/7 support
Here, you’ll find a detailed guide to betting on soccer, tailored to Canadian players like you! Included on this page:
✔️ Best soccer betting sites
✔️ Winning Strategies
✔️ FAQs about betting on soccer
How does SuperLenny choose the best soccer betting sites for Canadian bettors?
For many, choosing the best sports betting site can be quite a daunting challenge. However, SuperLenny recommends sportsbooks based on the following criteria:
- Security. SuperLenny will recommend sites that safeguard players when online. Most sportsbooks will be fully licensed, and they will have the latest encryption measures installed to prevent customers from being exposed to fraud.
- Bonuses. These are a great way to drive new customers to a site. The most competitive bonuses will be pushed forward as sites want to enjoy long-term gains.
- Payment methods. While some may well be lacking in this department, customers want to be able to choose sites that are versatile and flexible.
- User experience. With more players using sites on the go, SuperLenny will recommend sites that have a great interface and an intuitive app that can provide a more immersive betting experience.
How to bet on soccer online in Canada
There are a multitude of great sports betting sites where you can place bets within Canada. If you have money in your account, you will be able to play.
There will be many markets available displaying the best odds. Once you have set up an account, you will be able to select a match you wish to bet on.
Here, you will be able to fill in a betting slip that will highlight the odds as well as the potential returns if you win.
Where can you bet on soccer online in Canada?
You will be spoilt for choice, and the aforementioned sites offer some great bonuses.
Popular soccer bets
With soccer, there are many ways that you can bet on a match or a competition. Below are seven of the most popular methods:
- Match winner. This is an outright market that essentially involves you producing the winner. For example, if the Montreal Impact were facing the LA Galaxy in MLS and you bet on the Impact to win, then you would get a return if the Impact were victorious.
- Draw no bet. This is a two-way moneyline that eliminates the option to bet on a draw. With this type of bet, you wager on a single team to win the match.
- Anytime goalscorer. Here, you have to simply select the player you think could score at any time during the 90 minutes of a game. Odds can be very tempting in this market.
- Asian handicap. This is like a points spread. With this kind of bet, the spread may be adjusted by a couple of goals in a team’s favour, especially if they are the underdog.
- First goalscorer. This relies on predicting who will score the first goal in a game.
- Total goals over/under. This type relates to betting on how many goals will be scored in a game. For example, if you bet on +2.5 goals, three goals or more need to be scored to get a return on your bet.
- Corner count. This revolves around predicting how many corners will be accumulated over 90 minutes. This can also be split into the first and second halves.
What soccer competitions can I bet on in Canada?
A lot of Canadians will bet on MLS as they have two teams represented in that particular league.
Most sportsbooks will cover the top European leagues and European competitions, including the Champions League and the Europa League, so there is plenty of scope for bettors.
Can I bet on soccer live?
Yes, most sportsbooks will provide live streams if you have a registered account. bet365, for example, will show matches through its site so that you can keep on top of the action as it unfolds.
With in-play betting, you will get a breakdown of the stats and see the odds change in real time.
How to sign up to a soccer betting site
Signing up to a soccer betting site requires just a few simple steps:
- Open a sports betting account. Find your chosen website and head over to begin the process.
- From here, there will be a ‘Join Now’ button in the top right-hand corner of the screen.
- You will be asked to fill in some personal details, including your first name, surname, address and bank information.
- After you have been verified, which may take a few minutes, you will be able to deposit money into your account and you will be free to place a bet.
Make a deposit to start betting on soccer at a sports betting site
Some betting sites will offer a wide range of deposit options. bet365, for example, accepts Visa, Mastercard and e-wallets such as AstroPay and Skrill.
To make a deposit, click on the ‘Deposit’ link in the top right-hand corner of the screen and follow the instructions to complete the process, which will take a matter of minutes.
Can I get a welcome bonus when I sign up at a soccer betting site?
Most sportsbooks will vie for the attention of new customers. Indeed, you will be able to access a welcome bonus if you sign up to a soccer betting site.
You will find it easy to access promotional codes, and some of the welcome bonuses will be very lucrative. You should always read the terms and conditions before committing to a particular site.
Top 5 winning strategies for soccer betting
With soccer betting, it is always best to do your research before placing a bet. Following these strategies will ultimately boost your chances of being more successful consistently in the long term with your bets:
- Check out the line-ups. It is always best to see how the sides line up for certain matches. If a team has their prized asset missing, how does that affect the dynamic of the team? Similarly, can a team’s defence be exploited because they lack pace?
- Form matters. Always look at the form guides before you place a bet on a match. Most bookmakers will provide tips and preview pieces. However, it is easy to find out a side’s form over the past five matches. If they have embarked on a serious losing streak, you may well want to steer clear.
- Head-to-head record. Throughout a campaign, teams will face each other home and away. Does one side have a hold over another, and is one particular opponent a bogey team?
- Style or substance? Does one manager like to entertain, or are a side more robust defensively? There are certain tactical trends you may pick up.
- Injury record. Before placing a bet, think about the fitness of a squad. Is one team finding injuries mounting up, or do they have a clean bill of health? If it’s the latter, they will be worth backing.
Popular questions about betting on soccer in Canada
⚽ Is betting on soccer legal in Canada?
Sports betting is considered legal in Canada. Although Canada has its own set of online sports betting laws that are adhered to in provinces, many Canadians like to bet on a wide range of sports.
Soccer is no exception, and provided that you are at least 18 years old, you will be eligible to bet on the game through sportsbooks.
⚽ Is it safe to bet on soccer on sports betting sites?
Yes, provided that you stick to the more reputable sports betting sites. A lot of sites will be fully regulated and licensed and provide the latest encryption methods to safeguard the activity of their customers while they bet online.
With those that you are unsure about, or if there appears to be a red flag, avoid them. You want to play with an online sports betting site that is transparent and will provide you with enjoyment in the long term.
⚽ Can I use Canadian dollars to bet on soccer?
Yes, you can use Canadian dollars to place bets as well as to make deposits and withdrawals. The length of payment processing will depend on which method you use, whether it is a credit card, debit card or e-wallet.
Bear in mind that some sites won’t accept Canadian dollars as a payment method. If you are using a foreign currency, it is worth noting that these will incur exchange fees. Always make sure that you fully read the terms and conditions and understand the payment requirements before committing to a site.
⚽ Are free bets offered for soccer games?
Yes, free bets are widely used by sportsbooks to promote themselves and attract new customers to their sites.
Aside from welcome bonuses, free bets are enticing and they can come with attractive terms. For those starting out, it is a great way to get their playing bankroll going, and in due course, they may amass more successful bets.
As always, it is best to check out the terms and conditions and fully understand the free bets policy that is being offered by the sportsbooks before signing up.