Best eSports Betting Sites & Tips
Experienced sportsbooks have embraced the virtual aspect of eSports, and we will explore how you can bet on eSports in Canada and also answer a few of the most frequently asked questions.
Top Rated eSports Betting Sites 2021
100% match deposit bonus of up to C$50
+ 25 Free Spins
- Great mobile app
- Live Casino
- 24/7 support
Up to $1000 Bonus
+ 1000 LV Spins
- Live Casino
- live sports
Up to C$150
+25 Free Spins
- Many promo campaigns
- Live Casino
- 24/7 support
🐼Up to C$1,000🐼
+ 10 Free Spins
- Live Casino
- Generous welcome bonus
- Unique loyalty program
- 1 of the world's top sportsbooks
100% up to C$1500
- Player's Choice
- sports betting
- Live Casino
- Live Bets
100% up to $125 sports bonus
- 24/7 support
- Low wager
- Easy registration
100% up to C$100
- live streaming
- Fastest payout platform
100% up to C$500
- Bonus for Canadian players
- Wide range of betting options
- 24/7 support
Here, you’ll find a detailed eSports betting guide just for Canadian players! Included on this page:
✔️ Top eSports betting sites
✔️ Winning Strategies
✔️ FAQs about betting on your favourite eSports
How do I bet on eSports online?
With tournaments coming thick and fast, there is no shortage of options when it comes to betting on eSports. Among the most popular events are the Fortnite World Cup and the League of Legends World Championship.
There are various ways to bet on eSports. For example, eSports betting sites have adopted in-play betting where bettors can place wagers as the live-action unfolds.
Bettors can bet on specific events, which will be discussed later. As you will learn, some eSports betting sites have a more extensive range than others when it comes to game selection.
Popular eSports teams in Canada and prize money earned by each
With its surge in popularity over the past few years, eSports has become an attractive betting avenue. Approximately 70 teams emanate from Canada. Of the most successful are Luminosity Gaming with career earnings amassing more than $1.3m, Vancouver Titans ($350,000), Team NP ($224, 679), Team Tinker ($120,561) and Team Canada ($76,000)
eSports is watched by tens of millions of viewers the world over. Of the eSports games played in Canada, League of Legends ranks highly. The annual world championship in 2020 pulled in more viewers than for a typical NBA finals series. It is now considered the number one-watched video game tournament. Generally, it attracts more than 90 million viewers.
- Dota 2 is the successor to Dota (also known as Defense of the Ancients). The game is widely regarded as one of the forefathers in eSports battle games. This is where Team NP made their mark. They acquired their first income playing Dota 2 in 2016. This was their most lucrative year as they claimed over $150,000 in prize money.
- Luminosity are known for their pre-eminence as a Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CS: GO) team. They are ranked ninth in the world. On the platform Twitch, CS: GO averages viewing figures of around 45m. Playing under the flag of Canada and Brazil, Luminosity have competed in over 100 tournaments in the past six years. They have won 19 events over this period.
- Hearthstone is one of the newer eSports games to emerge. Historically, Hearthstone was a collectable card game. Since then it has made the transition to the digital stage. Now it has over 70 million registered players. This game has seen prize pools grow.
- StarCraft II, meanwhile, is a newcomer to the scene. It is a real-time strategy game that enables players to control an individual avatar. Players can choose between three different races. The game itself relies on many different variables. StarCraft II has quickly become an eSports giant as it notches up big tournament prize pools.
Types of eSports bets
You should always think carefully about the types of bets you place to maximise your returns. Of the outright bets, the tournament winner is hugely popular. As an ante-post market, it can be made at any time. Although it can be tricky to predict, if you do your research, you can enhance your chances of success.
Similarly, the match-winner market is simple to understand. It can be used for a variety of eSports events. Match winner bets are a good way to get started in eSports. They can be made before the event begins, and as we have learned, Canadians love to bet on League of Legends and CS: GO. Alternatively, you can check out in-play bets. For experienced bettors, it helps them keep on top of the action. You can bet on the action as it unfolds and the odds will change in real-time. Also, there will be a clear breakdown of stats during tournaments.
Like in soccer betting, there is also the odds/even bets section. Here, you can bet on whether there will be an odd or even number of games won. With certain games, this can be broken down into players killed or rounds played. It is a great option if you wish to veer away from the match winner market.
Of the more complex bet types are accumulators. With accumulators, you can bet on the outcome of multiple events. To get a return, you will need all of your predictions to come off to get a payout. Depending on the odds, the payout levels can be extraordinary and some betting sites can refund you in extra bets.
Types of eSports events
There is a plethora of eSports events and tournaments you can bet on. For example, you are likely to find betting on the final stages of a League of Legends tournament, but there are unlikely to be any markets for online qualifying. eSports handicapping is still relatively young, and there are always more and more eSports stars coming through.
The International is arguably the biggest eSports tournament and one that every fan should tune into as it showcases the best Dota 2 talent in the world.
Can I bet on eSports live?
Most reputable bookmakers in Canada, including Betway and Pinnacle, offer live betting. The games offered include StarCraft II, Dota 2 and CS: GO. The live betting offer tends to be much smaller than the regular pre-match offer. This is due to bookmakers putting a lot more effort into covering live betting events.
Benefits of betting on eSports
Perhaps the strongest argument for betting on eSports is that it’s a growing marketplace, and unlike some sports, it can be played all year around. Also, it is showing no signs of slowing down. Also, with plenty of top-level eSports clashes going on, it is very easy to follow and find something to watch through Twitch. The high viewing figures are proof in point.
Thirdly, a lot of the markets are identical to soccer markets, which may persuade you to move across from traditional sports betting. The winner market, for example, works in the same way as it would for soccer.
Also, you can bet on eSports with cryptocurrencies. This provides you with more ways to bet and makes the marketplace more accessible. Furthermore, with new games being produced, it makes it a very exciting betting environment. There are more games to bet on, so it makes it more appealing.
Best sportsbooks options for Canadian eSports punters
With the way that gambling is regulated in Canada, anyone looking for the best online eSports betting sites will have to rely on offshore ones. One of the best eSports betting sites is bet365, which offers up to C$200 in bet credits and bonus cash on all winning parlay tickets.
Pinnacle is also widely acclaimed. Although it doesn’t score as well as bet365 on the bonus front, it offers great value odds and it has a dedicated betting section for eSports on its app.
1xBET is recommended as it is an excellent site in terms of providing good user experience. It also offers attractive odds on all major eSports events.
eSports betting bonuses
There are different bonuses attached to eSports betting that you can check out:
- Free bet. Similar in nature to a sign-up bonus, this is when the sportsbook gives you credits that you can use in a bet. The more you bet, the more free credit you accumulate.
- Risk-free bet. Technically a modified free bet, you are playing with house money.
- Welcome bonuses. Targeted at new customers, some bookmakers will match your first deposit. This can range from 50% to 100% of the amount you deposit and isn’t just applicable for eSports bonuses.
5 top eSports winning strategies
When you enter the world of eSports betting, you do it to have fun. Most importantly though, you choose it to win – here are five of the best tips to make you successful:
1) Analyse the teams. Always do your homework before a tournament starts and check out the form guide of the players involved as this will bolster your win ratio.
2) Be open to change. Some bettors will have a strategy and this is common. However, if things don’t work, make sure that you have a plan A, B and C in place.
3) Set up a monthly budget. Make sure that you don’t bet more than you can afford and don’t go beyond your limit.
4) Consider specialising. Find the game that best suits your needs, whether it is CS: GO or Dota 2, and focus your energies on it.
5) Learn how to identify value. Find the bets that will maximise your returns and don’t chase wins.
Popular questions about eSports betting in Canada
Is eSports popular in Canada?
eSports is growing quickly and it is a booming industry in Canada. Typically over 1 million Canadians tune into Twitch each month to watch eSports tournaments.
Is eSports betting legal in Canada?
eSports betting is legal in Canada. eSports betting is very similar to regular sports betting, and players should check whether the bookmakers they use are fully licensed.
Is betting on eSports safe?
Yes, provided that you choose the most reputable sites that will protect your details when you play online. Most bookmakers will have the latest encryption measures installed to safeguard players online.
What is the difference between sports betting and eSports betting?
While there are some similarities between the two, perhaps the main difference is the digitalisation. eSports is absolutely digital, whereas other factors such as weather and injuries can impact upon a sports bet.