Blackjack is a truly iconic casino game — it's the Ultimate Casino Challenge. It is not only about luck blackjack also requires some strategy. Remember, the goal of Blackjack is not to get as close to 21, but to beat the dealer and avoid going bust!
Best Blackjack Casinos
18+. 100% Welcome Bonus up to £50 + 50 Extra Spins on Book of Dead. New customers only. Min £10 dep. Neteller/Skrill excl. Max bonus £50. Wagering 40x on bonus amount within 30 days. Bonus max bet £5. Spins paid 10 per day. T&C apply.
18+. New eligible UK players only. Select Casino offer on sign-up and deposit. 4 deposits of £10, £20, £50, £100 matched with a bonus cash offer of same value (14 day expiry). 35x real money cash wagering (within 30 days) on eligible games before bonus cash is credited. Spins credited upon deposits; under £50 =10 Spins, £50 or over =25 Spins; on Book of Dead only (3 day expiry, winnings paid in cash). Play Responsibly. Full T&C’s Apply.
18+. New GB customers and first deposit only. Spins only available on Starburst. Deposit and play through £25 on selected games and get 25 spins OR; Deposit and play through £100 on selected games and get 100 spins OR; Deposit and play through £200 on selected games and get 200 spins. 3 day expiry of spins after they have been added. 14 days from registration to claim offer. You have a right to withdraw your cash deposit or any remaining cash deposit and any cash winnings from this deposit. If this is withdrawn, the spins and any winnings from the spins will be forfeited. All winnings from the spins will be paid out cash. Further eligibility and terms apply.
Sign up to see what spectacular offers Guts has waiting for you. T&C apply to each individual offer.
New accounts only. Min. £10 deposit, card and PayPal only. 50x wagering, game contributions vary, max. stake applies. 7 day expiry. See full terms.
18+. New players only. One bonus offer per player. Minimum deposit £20. Max bonus bet is £5. Bonus spins on selected games only and must be used within 72 hours. Bonus funds must be used within 30 days otherwise any unused bonus shall be removed. Bonus funds are 100% match up to £400 on your 1st deposit +50 bonus spins, 40% match up to £3000 on your 2nd deposit, and 60% match up to £1500 on your 3rd deposit. Bonus funds are separate to Cash funds, and are subject to 35x wagering the total bonus & cash. Only bonus funds contribute towards any wagering requirements. Terms apply.
Terms and Conditions apply. New players only. 18+. Min deposit £10. Wagering requirement apply 35x. Offer valid for 72hr. 100 spins includes 3 deposit. See full terms here. Please gamble responsibly. www.gambleaware.com
18+ Full T&C's Apply. New players Only. £10 min deposit. £5 max bet using bonus. 40 x wagering applies. Bonus valid for 14 days. 30 Bonus Spins will be instantly credited upon qualifying deposit, further 30 Spins on Starburst games will be credited per day for 9 days after qualifying deposit/wager is met. Bonus Spins valid for 72 hours from credit. Max Bonus Spins winnings £100. Skrill + Neteller excluded. Always refer to Bonus Terms.
18+. New players only. 1 bonus offer per player. Min. deposit £20. Max bonus bet £5. Extra spins on selected games only- must be used within 72 hours. Bonus funds expire in 30 days, unused bonus shall be removed. Bonus funds are 100% match up to £500 + 30 extra spins on 1st deposit, 25% match up to £800 + 25 extra spins on 2nd deposit, and 50% match up to £200 + 50 extra spins on 3rd deposit. Bonus funds are separate to Cash funds, and are subject to 40x wagering the total bonus & cash. Only bonus funds count towards wagering contribution. Terms apply. BeGambleAware.org.
New players only, min deposit £10, wagering 45x bonus, max bet £5 with bonus funds. Live casino play excluded with bonus. 100% up to £100 bonus on 1st deposit. 50% up to £200 bonus on 2nd deposit. Welcome bonus excluded for players depositing with Skrill or Neteller. No max cash out on deposit offers. Eligibility is restricted for suspected abuse.
Blackjack is not very hard to learn. All you need to remember is the score of your own hand and the score of the dealer’s hand. You must also know how the action works and when it is essential to stay or hit in a hand. When it comes to acting in Blackjack there are certain optimal decisions you can make that can improve your winning chances. In the classic variant of Blackjack, the player has an almost 49% chance of winning. This makes Blackjack the evenest casino table game out there.
If you know the optimal strategy in Blackjack, you could decrease the house edge even more. The fact is that you could actually get very close to a winning chance of nearly 50% for certain blackjack types. Some of these optimal acting decisions include hitting an extra card if you have a score of 16 when the dealer shows a 10-card. You should also always double your hand if you have a score of 10 or 11 against the dealer’s face-up card showing a 7, 8 or 9. Be aware that the dealer’s worst starting hands are 5 or 6, whereas your worst first two hands are 15 or 16. Therefore you should always stay on hands showing 12-16 if the bank shows something like 5 or 6.
Conversely, you should always hit if you have 15 or 16 versus the dealer’s face-up card of 7, 8, 9 or 10. Even if you will lose most of the times with 15 or 16, in the long run, you will lose less money than if you did the opposite and stayed.
Finally, you should never ‘split winners’. This simply means that you should not accept a split if you, for instance, have two paired cards worth ten. You already have 20 points, which will beat the dealer most of the time. Why pay to split this strong hand and create two potentially worse hands? The two hands you create stand a chance of creating far worse hands than 20 if you split them (there are more low cards in the deck left than those worth 10 points).
Where can you find Blackjack Games at an Online Casino?
With so many online casinos doing the rounds these days, it has never been as easy as it is now to get instant access to high-quality blackjack games. Whether you prefer to play against a computer in an RNG game or to take your chances against a live dealer, you have more choice than ever when it comes to choosing a game type.
With so many possible options, however, it is also increasingly difficult to choose just one website to use! As such, your best bet is to use a review website such as SuperLenny that collects all the best online blackjack websites in one convenient location. This way, you spend less time hopelessly searching and more time playing!
How popular is Blackjack at Online Casinos?
In both land-based and online casinos, blackjack is one of the most popular games. This is due to two main reasons. Firstly, the rules are incredibly simple to pick up and even novice casino-goers can get a decent grip on the rules in a matter of minutes. Secondly, blackjack is a game that is fast-paced with short rounds, meaning that it is the perfect format to play in an online gaming session at home or when on the go with games that are typically much shorter in duration. This means that you can pick up a game and get playing within seconds without having to set aside a lot of time. Because of this format, blackjack is perfectly suited to the online and mobile gaming format.
Popular Blackjack Variants
Although you might have thought that it was a relatively simple game, there are a surprising number of variations of blackjack beyond the classic format. While there are far too many to list here, these are some of the most popular variations:
- Pontoon or British blackjack: Pontoon is simply the British equivalent of the classic American blackjack. Although it shares many of the same features, a few twists create a completely different playing experience. The biggest ones are that players can see one card before making their bets and that bets can also be increased when the hand is in play.
- Buster blackjack: Buster blackjack is essentially the classic blackjack format with the option to place a side bet that pays out when the dealer goes bust.
- Blackjack switch: Although only introduced in 2009, blackjack switch is a favourite variation online and in land-based casinos. The main difference is that each player plays two hands and has the opportunity to switch their cards after the initial deal in the game.
Top 10 Blackjack Terms
As with most online casino games, blackjack has its own unique lingo that only hardcore, experienced players will understand. Here are some of the most common:
- Bankroll: The money that the player has at their disposal. If your bankroll goes to zero, you won’t be able to place any more bets!
- Bust: When the cards you have been dealt exceed 21, your hand will be considered bust! This means that you are out of action for that game and have to wait until the cards are dealt again to get back into the action.
- Chips: Chips are essentially the in-game currency you use. You use chips to place bets and take winnings.
- Double down: When you get a sense that you will only need one more card to beat the dealer, you are given an opportunity to double down your original bet and draw a final card. If you are successful, you will win twice as much! However, if your feeling is off, you stand to lose twice what you originally wagered!
- Face cards: All face cards are assigned a value of 10 in a game of blackjack. These include jack, queen and king cards.
- Hard hands: Hands you have been dealt that do not contain an ace card are known as hard hands.
- High roller: If someone is described as a high roller, it generally means that they are playing with large sums of money or for high stakes. Typically, high rollers will only play and bet at high-value tables.
- Hole card: Any face-down card on the table – typically the dealer’s single card that is face down on the table.
- Split: If a player is dealt two great opening cards such as a face card and an ace card, they will have the option to split their hand. This means that they will essentially be playing with two separate hands in one game.
- Soft hands: Any hand you have been dealt that includes an ace, as ace cards can be valued at either 1 or 11.
Guides for Playing Blackjack
Top Tips for Playing Blackjack
Whether you’re playing blackjack for fun or real money, it never hurts to have a few tips up your sleeve. Straight from the Deer’s (Lenny’s) mouth here are our top tips.
- Set your bankroll and stick to it
- Learn basic strategy
- Ignore other the players
- Avoid progressive betting systems
- Don’t expect to win
- Play on busy tables
- Don’t let emotion cloud your judgement
- Never go all-in
- Show respect to the dealer
- Only play at licensed online casinos.
Frequently Asked Questions About Online blackjack
Can I play Online Blackjack for free?
Generally speaking, you won’t be able to play blackjack online completely free of charge. However, a number of the larger online casino platforms might give you a free trial to play a number of their games. While it won’t necessarily cost you to play the game itself, you will have to wager real money to play.
Playing For free vs. Real-Money Blackjack
While playing for free through a trial version gives you an opportunity to get to grips with the game and to try out different strategies, playing for money is completely different. Playing blackjack with real money on the line completely changes your strategy and brings a new level of excitement to the game.
What is the RTP for Blackjack?
The RTP – or Return to Player – rate of blackjack will typically hover around the 99.4% mark. While it might not seem like it, this is actually one of the best RTP rates of any casino game. This will depend on the variation you play however, with some other variations offering an RTP rate of 99.6% or even higher.
Are the odds the same as virtual online blackjack?
While your odds are generally the same given the limits of the rules, depending on what software provider or variation you play, the odds of winning a hand might differ slightly.
Get a sneak peek to our special offers!