Teen Patti is an extremely popular card game in India. It is played as a gambling game with real money in both land-based and online casinos. People even play it casually with friends or family as a fun and entertaining activity. If you want to learn to play this game and try your hand at it, we will explain everything you need to know about Teen Patti in this post.
What is Teen Patti?
Teen Patti is the Indian adaptation of the Three-Card Brag game, which originally came from England. Several elements of this game are similar to poker, which you will see for yourself as we explain more about the game later on.
The name ‘Teen Patti’ translates to ‘three cards’ in English as every player is dealt three cards to play within each round. The game also goes by the name of Flash or Flush in other parts of the world.
How Do You Play Teen Patti In India?
The game of Teen Patti usually involves three to six players and uses a deck of 52 cards. Of course, there can be games where more than six players participate, so it’s not a fixed number. Here is a step by step process to play the game:
- The game begins with the dealer distributing one card to every player in sequence for three rounds, so that every player ends up with three rounds. The cards are dealt face down, and players cannot see their hands right away.
- Once all cards are dealt with, every player wagers a fixed amount in the beginning in the form of cash or chips. This initial wager can vary as it can be set differently by each casino. The initial wager’s total collection is placed at the centre of the table and is called the ‘pot’ in casino terminology.
- The game moves forward in turns, starting with the player towards the left of the dealer, then proceeding to the next player, and so on. Every player can either see their cards or choose to proceed without looking in their turn. If they see their cards, they will become a ‘seen’ player, and if they don’t, they will be a ‘blind player.’
- Now each player has to place a bet on their turn. In the first round, the initial wager amount will be the minimum bet required to stay in the game. This is known as the ‘current stake.’ Now every player has three options when betting:
- Call: If a blind player goes for a call, they have to bet the same amount as the current stake. If a seen player goes for a call, they have to bet twice the current stake. For example, if the game started with an initial wager of ₹20, then a blind player has to bet ₹20 when they call on their turn while a seen player has to bet ₹40. Then the next player will follow the same rule-based on whether they are blind or seen.
- Raise: Every player also has the option to raise the current stake by betting a higher amount on their turn. When a player raises the bet, the raised amount becomes the new current stake. So, if the current stake is ₹20 and a blind player raises it by betting ₹40 in his turn, the new current stake becomes ₹40. Hence, the next player must now bet ₹40 to ‘call’ or can ‘raise’ it even higher. Keep in mind that if the current stake is ₹20, a seen player must bet ₹40 to call, which means they need to bet even more than that to go for a raise. Most casinos set the maximum limit for a raise to be double the current stake, meaning players can also raise to a maximum of ₹40 if the current stake is ₹20. But this is also a flexible rule, and casinos may choose to allow players to raise even higher.
- Fold: A fold is when you opt to quit the current round. You don’t place any bets when you fold, but you also don’t get back the money you have already bet, as it stays in the pot. Once you fold, you are out of the game for that round and must wait until it’s over, and a new hand is dealt. Needless to say, blind players won’t be folding their cards if they don’t even know what hand they have. Some casinos even make it a rule where only seen players are allowed to fold.
- The game proceeds with each player performing a call, raise, or fold in their turn, whether as a blind player or as a seen player. For the round to end and one player to be the winner, any one of the following conditions must be bet:
- All players except one have folded their cards, in which case the last person in the game wins the round by default.
- All players except two have folded their cards. In this case, there are different scenarios. If both players are seen, any player can perform a ‘call’ and then demand a show. A show is where both players will have their cards laid on the table and the highest hand winds. If one player is seen while the other is blind, only the blind player can demand a show by making a call on their turn, while the seen player can only fold or continue betting but cannot ask for a show. If both players have equal rank cards after a show, then the one who asked for the show will lose.
- Once the round is over, all the money in the pot goes to the winner, and a new round begins as the cards are shuffled and dealt again.
Ranking Of The Cards
Now the only thing you need to know is the ranking of the three cards in each player’s hand, which decides which hand wins. The ranking is listed below in descending order, starting from the highest.
A trail is a set of three same cards, for example, three Sevens or three Queens. A trail beats every other card combination, and in the case of two or more trails, the bigger trail will win. Three Aces is the highest trail in the game, and then it goes down to three Kings, Queens, and so on.
A straight flush is a set of three consecutive cards of the same suit, for example, 2, 3, and 4 of spades. It’s the second-highest combination after the trail. The biggest straight flush is Ace, King, and Queen, and after that is Ace, Two, and Three. The third biggest one is King, Queen, Jack, and it goes down from there.
Sequence or Run
A run is also a set of three consecutive cards like straight flush but from different suits. It follows the same hierarchical order as a straight flush, with Ace, King, and Queen being the biggest run.
Colour is a set of three non-consecutive cards but all from the same suit, for example, 3, 6, and 8 of hearts. If both players have colours, the hand which has the biggest card will win. For example, if player 1 has King, 10, and 7 of spades while player 2 has Jack, 9, and 8 of hearts, then player 1 will win since King is the biggest card in play.
A pair is a hand with two same cards, while the third one can be any other card, such as two 10s and a 7. If two players have both got pairs, the higher pair will win. In the rare case that two players have the same pair, the one whose third card is bigger will win.
A high card is a set of three cards which doesn’t match any of the above combinations, meaning that all three cards are different, non-consecutive, and from different suits. This is the lowest ranking combination, and if two players have both got high cards, the one with the highest card will win. If the highest card is the same for both, the one with the second-highest card will win. If that too is the same, then the third card will decide the winner.
So the ranking of the card goes as:
Trail > Straight Flush > Run > Colour > Pair > High Card
How Do I Choose The Best Indian Casino For Teen Patti?
Most Indian online casinos include Teen Patti in their list of games because it is extremely popular among Indian players. So, you have many casinos to choose from where you can wager real money on Teen Patti. Just keep these things in mind when choosing the best casino:
- Check the popularity and background as well as reviews of the casino
- Pick a casino which offers the most convenient payment method
- Go for a casino that has excellent customer service
- Look for the ones with the best welcome bonuses so you can start big
How Popular Is Teen Patti In India?
Teen Patti is hugely popular in both land-based and online casinos in India. In fact, it’s popularity is not just limited to casinos as it’s played commonly in events or even just as a casual game with no money and bets involved. One of the main reasons for its popularity is that it is a quick and simple game that combines multiple elements such as luck, prediction, and calculation, bluffing, and mental manipulation.
So, it’s safe to say that Teen Patti is easy to play and get used to, has exciting and entertaining gameplay, and is one of the most popular gambling card games in India.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on Teen Patti
- Can I play Teen Patti for free in online casinos?
Yes, in most online casinos, you will get the option to play the demo version of Teen Patti, free to play. The only catch is that you will be playing against AI players in the demo, so you can get used to the game before you face real players in a live casino.
- Is it better to play Teen Patti as blind or seen?
Both blind and seen players have their pros and cons, and it’s mostly a matter of preference based on your gameplay. A blind player wagers less than a seen player, so their risks are minimized, but the drawback is that without seeing the cards, they will totally be playing on luck. Having viewed their hand, a seen player can make a better decision on whether to call, raise, or fold. But their loss is that they must bet twice as much as blind players.
- Is there any strategy to win a lot in Teen Patti?
For most of the part, Teen Patti is a game of luck based on what cards you are dealt. So there is no strategy to win a lot in Teen Patti, and at the end of the day, you will mostly be playing on luck. The only thing you can do from your end is to psychologically manipulate the other player’s decision with some mind tricks to try and make them fold their cards.